Friday, February 27, 2015

Winter Fishing

WINTER FISHING

 
 

Well, it wasn't quite as icy as the picture on the left, but it was cold enough to freeze the fly line in the eyelets - Challenging to cast.  I found it easier to dip the rod tip into the water to melt the ice, pull it out and shake it hard, and then I could cast.  It took a while to figure this process out and master the timing to actually cast.  Setting the hook was never really figured out.  It just froze in the eyelet, so I didn't even need a trigger finger - Kind of nice!
 
I went with our Executive Pastor from church, and I was a little intimidated since he has fished many, many years in many, many states. Anyway, I had a fantastic time until I dropped one of my fishing gloves in the water. Man, my hand was frozen for a while.  It never dried out on the river, and it was COLD!  He started with the Squirmy Worm which he actually has in his fly box, and I chose the Frenchie from mine.  We both had a few light bites, but never caught anything.  We were fishing in the holes right in front of the pier at JFK park.  Why?  Because the SWPA peeps didn't shut the two generators off until around noon.  I know they have the flexibility to change the schedule, but it always wrecks trips when they don't shut them down per the schedule.  Cow Shoals was going down, but still too fast to fish for me.  We rolexed to JFK park.  I really don't like nymph fishing here in the holes because it's like watching paint dry, snow melt, chickens lay eggs, and any other analogy you can come up with.  Plus, this is normally the place where everyone comes to fish...A little annoying with people getting into your casting space.  I have actually hooked a guys shirt there.  I asked him if he learned anything...Nothing.  However, none of this today.  JFK was  a GHOST TOWN @ 30 degree Fahrenheit.  After about an hour, Chris wanted to move to the pipe where I think the "min flow" (20 CFS) comes from.  Anyway, I let him fish for about 10 minutes before I came over.  He had a SOLID strike as soon as I stepped up.  It's ON!
 
I will say this much, the fish are MUCH more camouflaged at JFK than any other place on the river.  I can normally spot a fish and see them take the flies.  Not at JFK; It's blind fishing to some degree in that crystal clear water.  I continued fishing with a dry fly since they were rising...First I've seen this Winter.  After fishing with a Mayfly Spinner Dry Fly, the fish just weren't taking it.  I decided to switch to the Red Copper John.  We finally found something they would bite on. The first fish I caught had some battle damage on his mid-section. It looks like he was in the chompers of a big trout and ...escaped. Lucky man! He is much smaller than the release length - Must be a natural. I caught another beautiful color rainbow, but it didn't take or save the shot. I caught this other guy right at the buzzer. Lucky, and he has some mild colors for a rainbow.  Chris caught one just before we left too, and he dropped his glove in the river too.  That made our day!

Anyway, 2 hours on the Red River with 30 degrees and forecast 5 degrees with wind chill. Water was much warmer than being on top with wet hands!!!
 
RobF
FROZEN Arkansas Fly Fishing
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Why does everyone dislike fishing midges and nymphs? I like them, because they work well for me mostly haha. Does a red copper john work just as well as a regular copper john when it warms up? Or is the red more of a cold season type fly? I have ruby midges for the cold weather that work sometimes. I am tying up a lot of flies for a bachelor party fishing trip in may or june. The place we're going I caught a lot on copper zebra midges that were black, but I want copper johns for the trip and I might try slinging some brassie's at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandler, I'm with you man.

    The traditional/historical fly fishing was a DRY fly, so many purists only do the dry fly fishing. A dry fly has to be used in the windows of the trout rising. Therefore, it was not only a skill to present the fly like an insect that just met the Great Divine, but it was also the patience in waiting for the trout to rise. When I caught the Golden Trout in Colorado on the dry with my father-in-law, it was all about timing - Just because they are rising doesn't mean they will take the fly even if correct. The fish get into a rhythm, and it's very difficult to get the fly right in front at the right time when sight fishing. The fish spook easy, so you have to pitch well in front of them. Also, the fish were in such a rhythm and food was so plentiful that even an equal or larger morsel was not an enticement to rise for my fly - It was definitely a dance watching them. I had to toss the same fly 20-30 times before I hit the gap just right and saw the take. I LOVE Dry Fly fishing...

    But, the Nymph and Emergers work especially in Arkansas...Sometimes too well. Copper Johns come in Copper, Red, and Green normally. I have had lots of luck with the Green and Red. It was overcast, so generally the darker colors work better. However, I took a chance on the Red. Red is like a red/pink hotspot on the front of a fly like the Frenchie - Sometimes just the color will induce strikes. Quite honestly, a Red Zebra Midge would have probably brought on the same reaction. It's funny, but sometimes the dumbed down color helps too. If you can figure out why, you will be 3 steps in front of me. I think a lot of this is presentation of the fly that resembles food that is actually passing by to be honest. Sometimes just a little color will induce the strike versus the entire thing having color. If you look at their food, not much is super colorful. The Mylar or Pearl Tinsel is all that is needed for a little glitter or flash - Subtle, but works. I am also known to throw a little Tinsel on a Pheasant Tail for the same reasons.

    I like the Brassie's, but sometimes they just don't work. I have had days that the squirmy worm doesn't work too...Sad day my friend, Sad day! Tight Lines my friend, and we have got to go fishing sometime.

    RobF
    Arkansas Fly Fishing

    ReplyDelete