Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Challenge of Wader and Boot Selection

This is not a competitive shootout, and I'm sorry if it's misleading.  I just want to state the obvious about Waders and Boots.  Waders keep the water off your body.  Boots fit over neoprene booties and keep you from slipping and falling into the river...I know, I've done it 3 times...Soaking WET!

My experience through waders has been equal a learning curve as my vest, front pack and sling pack purchasing.  I was under the gun in Colorado when I went on my first fly fishing  trip with my father-in-law.  We had a SUPERB guide on Day 1 of fishing from "Flies and Lies" guide service out of South Platte Outfitters in Decker, Colorado.  My father-in-law (Mr. Bill) got the guide I think more for me, but he spent a bit more time with Mr. Bill - I don't know what that means.  Anyway, they provided the waders and boots at a minimal cost if not free with a guide.  Again, great stuff.

The little crossroad "town" of Deckers is a beautiful place, and there is some AWESOME fishing on the South Platte River in their Gold Medal Waters.  One word of advice...Colorado has water rights, so you just can't go plodding along a river...You will be trespassing if you aren't careful.  Almost all owners have cables across the river with signs or sign on the banks.  It doesn't discourage though...There is plenty of national park areas so you can get you fill of fishing very easy.  Was I posting about waders?

Oh yeah!  After the trip, we decided to hit some areas of the Platte around their house in Western Denver.  Since I didn't have waders, I hit Bass Pro Shop, and had no idea what I was doing.  The elderly man working in the White River Fly Shop had great direction.  He showed me all the differences of wader:  Neoprene, Traditional, and Pants.  I had no idea that you can go from $100 to $800 in one swift motion.  All I can say is this, Simms can send me some waders to compare to the three pairs I own, and I will test the poop out of them.  Simms?  You listening?

Anyway, I'm a guy that isn't afraid of paying for something if I feel I can get a great product.  The salesman just gave me this advise - You can buy a pair of low cost waders that may last a year or two, or you can buy a pair of high dollar that may last 4-5 years.  If you spend $200 to get to 4 years or $600-800 to get to 4 years.  What is you ROI?  Look man, I'm a simple country boy from South Carolina, but I can do that kind of math ALL DAY LONG!  That day, I settled for a "cheap" pair of the White River Fly Shop (Bass Pro) Classic Chest High waders, and I am still using them today - almost 3 years later.  Still dry, still functional, and still as good as the day I bought them.  I will give them a B+, with minor deductions for limited articulation in the knee areas.   They happen to be on sale for about $70 right now - I feel jipped!  However, read what waders do above, It keeps the water off the body.  Now, To the boots...

The boots were a bit more challenging.  They were out of Cheap size 13 boots (I wear an 11 shoe).  The 12s were way to small on dry boots, so I couldn't imagine trying to put them on when damp or wet.  So, I had to go with a more high end boot.  There were these good looking shoes called Korkers.  About a 5 minutes speech from the salesman, and I was headed to the counter to pay.  Korkers are the best thing in the world.  You get two bottoms that snap on and off - Super!  I got little rubber bottom soles and felt bottoms.  Yes, I have done my research in reading.  I understand not only the slipping factor of each (from actual field work too), but I understand the ECO challenges with each too.  I'm a Fisherman, and I am a conservationist.  I want my kids to fish these same rivers I fish too.  By the way, I still have these boots today.  I give these boots 4-stars and an A++.

Since then, I bought a "guest" pair of waders and boots.  I bought a pair of Patagonia leather shoes with rubber soles.  Great product too!  Patagonia has warranties that are like no other, so I had no issues buying these when they went on sale - Probably obsolete now too.  Additionally, I have bought two pairs of waders.  I got a $150 pair of Redington Palix River waders for "guest."  I have actually used these a couple of times.  Great articulation in the knee and crotch area, double laminated in the high wear spots, and thick neoprene booties.  Overall, I give them an A.

I enjoyed wearing the Redingtons the few times I have used them, and I decided to buy a pair of Redington Sonic Pants (discontinued).  You know what these look like - Joe Cool!  In the Summer in Arkansas, I had to have something a little less...Body covering!  So, the pants were just flat the ticket I needed.  I LOVE these pants, and right now, I'd put them up against a pair of SIMMS, and I have never worn a pair of SIMMS.  Anyway, these pants ROCK!  Same articulation, same double lamination in the area that need it, fit like a glove, and quite frankly...I think I look like that long-haired Favio in these things.  OK, maybe not, but they are fantastic.  I give these wader pants two thumbs up, 4-stars, and an A+.

Now, if someone would send me some SIMMS, I will gladly give my input, but I will not pay those prices for SIMMS products.  I am not a guide, and I have no one to impress.  I know SIMMS are SUPER quality, and I am in no means slamming their product, so please don't send me hate mail.

That's about it for now!  Tight lines!

RobF
Arkansas Fly Fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment